HP Deskjet 5850 Color Inkjet Printer Wireless and Network Setup.
When Windows XP is configured for TCP/IP "to Obtain an IP address automatically" via DHCP, it will first attempt to locate a DHCP server.
If no DHCP server is found on the network, it will use the build-in "Automatic Client Configuration" (sometimes referred to as APIPA ) to assign itself an IP-address in the address-range 169.254.x.x with Subnet- mask 255.255.0.0. This concept holds true for the printer as well.
The preferred way of connecting HP DeskJet 5850 printer on the Windows XP is via TCP/IP. To continue installing the printer, check the IP address of the computer and let the ethernet cable remain connected.
Checking IP address of the computer:
1. Click Start -> Click Run.
2. Type: cmd and click OK.
3. Type: ipconfig and hit ENTER key to note the IP address.
For example, if the IP address of the computer is 192.168.10.1, provide the following IP address for the printer: 192.168.10.x,
where the values of x can vary in the range of 2 to 254.
Installing the HP 5850 printer on AD HOC INSTALLATION
1. Open Control Panel -> Double-click Printers and Faxes (or) Printers and other Hardware icon
2. Click Add a printer.
3. Click Next on the Welcome to the Add Printer Wizard window.
4. Select Local Printer and uncheck Automatically detect and install my Plug and Play printer. Click Next.
5. Click "Create a new port" radio button and
select "Standard TCP/IP Port" from the drop-down menu.
6. On the "Welcome to the Add Standard TCP/IP Printer Port Wizard", click Next.
7. Type the printers IP address in the text box labelled "Printer Name (or) IP Address". It will be duplicated on the "Port Name" text box. Click Next.
8. Depending on the type of printer you are setting up, you may be asked to select the appropriate Device Type. Click Standard and select Generic Network Card. Click Next -> Click Finish.
9. On the Add Printer Wizard, click Have Disk.
10. Click Browse. Browse to the hpfxxxx.inf file in your desired language. XXXX is the printer model name. It will be in Enu/Drivers/Win2K_XP on the CD.
11. Click Open.
12. Click OK.
13. The Printer name will be highlighted on the next window. Click Next.
14. Select Replace existing printer driver and click Next.
15. On the Name Your Printer window, click Next. The Printer Sharing dialog box will open. Click Next.
16. The Print Test Page box appears. Select Yes to print a test page.
17. Click Finish. The printer is now installed and ready for printing.
Click Networking tab.
Click on "IP Configuration Method" select, Manual.
Click Apply and Ok.